Oh, I wish I could have the real deal. But there's no room for $200+ real deals in our budget at the moment. For just short of $20 I gave myself the look without the sting in the wallet.
It was really easy, even those of you who don't normally craft can do this one. Promise :)
Here's what I did.
1. I went to the fabric store and got myself 2 yards of Velboa faux cowhide. It's normally $14.99 at Joann's but they were 40% off. (Notice the smudgy spot? I noticed after taking all the pics that I had a big fat finger print on the lens... Sorry about the unprofessionalism here :) So, disregard that, if you can. It's in every pic unfortunately. Scattered toys and DVDs are a bonus and something I provide for free in almost every single post.)
2. Flipped the fabric over and free-handed a general outline of a standard cowhide with a Sharpie. Some asymmetry is good, it adds to the realism.
3. Cut off the excess fabric with scissors. This is a messy affair, be warned. I also tossed the whole thing in the dryer on low heat at this point to get rid off the fuzz. Worked like a charm! This fabric doesn't unravel so things should be good from now on.
4. Remembered to take a before picture for the blog!
5. Placed my "hide", anchoring the edges under furniture to help keep it in place. That's it!
A few things to consider.
This is just a flimsy piece of fabric, but it's layered over a sisal rug and carpeting so I think that will help things stay in place. I also placed the hide in the corner of the room where there's not normally that much traffic. I may, if I end up having too much trouble keeping it in place, add some carpet tape or non-slip pad underneath.
It's washable so that should help with the kids and their messy habits.
If I decide down the road that it's not working here it'll work just as well thrown over a bed or hung on the wall.
If you want it to be more like a standard rug with more heft I've seen people back the faux hide with a heavy fabric so that's something to consider as well.
Anyway, I think this looks really good for the price and it'll give us something to dig our toes into as the winter approaches. Time to snuggle up!