So. I'm back, surprisingly refreshed after my bloggy vacation :) You guys are super for hanging in there while I was gone!
It's funny. Every time I take a little bloggy break my following numbers go up. It almost makes me wonder if you're rewarding me for being gone or I'm just noticing it more because I'm not expecting anyone to click that little button when I'm not here to entertain you :) Either way I'm very grateful for every one of you.
With the emotional stuff out of the way I'll confess right away that I didn't get to the cleaning or the organizing part of my to do list for the hiatus. But I have been pretty productive in the creative department and so today I'll be showing you this little vanity turned kid's desk that I rescued from the curb sometime last year and have been meaning to fix up for. like. ever. It's been sitting patiently in the kids' room looking like a pile of junk, and only I knew it was a hidden beauty waiting for a makeover.
contact paper seahorse blinds already in their beachy/underwater room.
When I first got this desk I imagined it in a peppy turquoise. But I stumbled upon some spray paint cans at the Habitat store for $2 a piece (on a separate trip, mind you), a brand I'd never heard of and can't for the life of me remember anymore, in a shade called Wedgewood blue. It looked kind of like turquoise with a lot of gray in it so I figured it was close enough. And for the price I thought it could work.
I needed to sand the top to make it flat and just lightly scuffed up the rest and then put on a few coats of the paint, sanding the worst spots in between coats. Oil paint on sanded particle board is not pretty, let me tell you. It makes the grain stand on end in the worst possible way. I just did what I could without taking off the paint too much. I only had three cans of paint and I used them all.
fabric pinboards in here to tie things together nicely.
And the finished result! Kind of cutesy and blingy but can still pass
for a boys desk (I'm aiming for a unisex look in here since our kids
share). I found the chair at the thrift store for $10 and thought the
color was perfect.
It was definitely a more time consuming project than I normally
manage to take on, and more involved since I had to carry things in and
out. But I did it and I'm quite happy with the result. Hope you guys
liked it, will be back next week with more of the bloggy vacation crop of crafts :)
Ps. Linking up with
Blue Cricket Design