Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Whimsical duct tape bed

I was watching Home by Novogratz on HGTV the other week and they were duct taping two wooden kids' beds. I mean every last square inch of them! And it looked great. Since we have a beat-up hand-me-down bunk bed in the kids' room it got me thinking...


And one roll of white duct tape later...

Beachy whimsy! I love it and the kids liked it too. The tape covers up some of the scuffs in the blue finish and lightens the look of the bed a bit.

Um, yes, I know that...

...the top bunk is missing a mattress. I'm working on that
...the foot end of the bed is missing a bed skirt. I just bought this skirt at 99 cents only for $2.99 (a great price if not 99 cents) and realized when I got home that it's made for a bed with a headboard against the wall. It's an easy fix with the sewing machine but I just haven't gotten to it yet
...the top bunk isn't striped. And that's because I intend to slip cover it and/or do a canopy above it to create a cozy nest for for the oldest. When we get her a mattress, that is :)

This room is still in progress, but at least it IS progressing. As far as I'm concerned any change is a good change :)

The process for the duct taping is easy peasy. Tear off strips that will reach around the bed legs with a slight overlap, tape them on starting from the bottom and work your way up. Position seams in the tape facing towards the wall so they won't be that visible and use the width of the tape as a spacer between bands.

I think this will be able to stand up to our monkey kids for quite a while. I love quick fixes :)

Ps. Linking up with
Someday Crafts
post signature Pin It


  1. It DOES look beachy! What a fun project - this is so cute and cheap and high impact! Nice tip about using the tape itself to measure the spaces.

  2. Great idea! I love it! You might want to check my blog out... I think you would like it!

  3. This is terrific. I always have a big supply of duct tape on hand.
    I bought a case of 12 inch wide duct tape. this could be fun.


I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...