Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Birthday party

A few weeks ago we had a birthday party for our oldest who's growing up fast. I'm not one to go overboard with birthday decorations but I wanted to make it special for her. So with a little ingenuity and a few dollars I spruced up our dining room for the day.

First I needed some pretty stands to display cupcakes on the table.
 The glass plate from a microwave oven that died on us and a glass candle stick from the thrift store...
 ... got a good scrubbing with soapy water and a few coats of white spray paint...
... before being glued together with E6000 glue. The top is only sprayed on the underside to make it food safe.

A thrift store cheese dome and a Dollar tree candle stick met with a similar fate.
 But only the wooden part got a light sanding and a few coats of black craft paint.
So simple to do and such a great result. I feel the urge to have more cupcakes around now :)

Around that same time I also got this vase at the thrift store. Hideous color but great shape.

 Same procedure as above.
And it found a new home in the dining room. A single fake leaf tops it off (found at Habitat for $1).

A helium balloon for your birthday is a must.

It had to hang out in the car for a little bit while I got some more birthday party shopping done and the heat de-plumped it really fast. Still hanging in there, though :)

One double pack of yellow crepe streamers from the Dollar tree went a long way towards partying up the dining room.



Pink tissue paper on the table under the plastic table cloth sets the girly pink theme.
 Cupcakes...
... more cupcakes, guests and an ice cream cake make for a very happy birthday girl!














Another year under the belt!

post signature Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Omgosh, your little birthday girl is so adorable, Titti! Love all your fancying up - the streamers and bows on chairs are very impactful. I love the first cupcake stand - what a great way to repurpose a microwave plate. The whole creation looks exactly like a vintage milk glass cake stand - which would cost a pretty penny.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...