Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Sorry about the blurry pics again, dark corner of the room... And I know it's easily fixed by moving the lamp to another part of the room. It's just that my laziness prevented that from happening since it would involve moving the whole entertainment bench out from the wall and crawling behind it in dust bunnies and who knows what else to unplug the lamp only to do it again in the reverse when done.
Anyway. I knew I wanted a drum shade for this lamp since all the main lamps in our living room have this shape and this little lamp was standing out like an odd-shaped thumb. Nothing presented itself on my thrift store runs and the shades in the "real" stores seemed too expensive. So in the end I picked this shade up at the thrift store for a few dollars, thinking I was going to alter it.
The large circle, the original bottom of the shade, had the perfect circumference for making the size shade I had in mind. I saved the top circle as well so I'd have something to attach the shade to the harp with. Beside them you see one of the place mats that make up the actual shade.
You've seen them before here. They proved impossible to keep clean for any amount of time with these monkey kids we have, who apparently eat with the same "enthusiasm" as a pack of starved dingoes.
I did this in the wrong order so if you make your own I suggest you first connect the two circles together before you attach the place mat to the whole contraption (see below). Here's what I did instead (it worked too, but the other way should be easier).
The last place mat had to be cut short and the resulting loose thread ends were glued to the last stick of the place mat to keep holding it together.
If you want to you can add another circle at the bottom of the shade. I found that it's pretty sturdy as is because the place mats are rigid and hold the drum shape well without any further support.
So this is what it looked like at that point.
A trip to Michael's today yielded a plastic gold foil "ribbon" with a crocodile pattern. Yay for glitz and shimmer! $2 for a spool and one spool proved enough. I secured it with hot glue and then I was done!
I've also finished a few petty projects as well.
I also had to go and get myself some new shoes and couldn't leave well enough alone.
Ps. Linking up with
The Thrifty Home