So this floor cloth launches my mini bathroom makeover which I will carry out in my usual scatterbrained fashion over the next few weeks or months (depending on where my inspiration leads me).
For those of you who weren't around back in the day, this was the first room I painted in our all white house and I was so happy with the color (still am). Over the winter I started feeling like it was a little sterile and cold, not enough color or stuff going on. This pic below got me all inspired and I'm working towards something with the same feel to it, the rug being the first step.
My version won't be exactly the same of course. But you get the idea :)
How did I do it? Here's how.
1. I had a snippet of drop cloth left over from my cork board project that I thought would fit just perfect in our tiny bathroom. I painted the drop cloth with a white latex paint I had on hand.
2. Then I taped off the pattern with 2" painter's tape (I only measured the first row of the pattern to make sure it would be even and straight, then used the tape itself as a spacer to get it right for the rest).
3. Then I stole the kids' green tempera paint (it was the perfect shade of green!) and brushed it on. It saved me a buck, only time will tell if it's going to hold up.
4. I removed the tape as soon as I was done.
5. Then I covered it in 3 coats of Polycrylic. Let dry between coats and after.
6. Our bathroom floor surface is tiny and strangely shaped (custom, I guess you call it :)). So I made a mock-up of the shape I wanted the floor cloth to be by sticking A4 printer papers on the floor, taping them together and cutting out space where the vanity and toilet go.
7. I put the mock-up on top of my floor cloth, transferred the pattern and cut it out with scissors. Done!
I'm really, really happy with the color and punchy pattern!
I just wish there was a way to make custom water/dirt resistant rugs on the cheap that felt cushier and more luxurious. The texture is a little coarse, not unpleasantly so, but just enough to let everyone know it was a DIY. I could have painted on a real rug but I'd have the problem with it needing to be able to take water and potty training accidents and still be cleanable. So for now looks take precedence over feel :)
While I was at this makeover thing I decided to switch the shower curtain up a bit. I previously had 4 panels sown together width-wise and all gathered to one side of the shower in a big swoop. I decided to unpick the seam in the middle and ended up with two full panels on either side of the shower instead, with a nice puddle on the floor.
I found a new place for the curtain tie-back tassel too.
feather frame will be replaced with something else and the peachy towels are just temporary. They may have been peachy for about a year but it's still temporary :) I'm still deciding what color to dye them and when I know they'll look different, ok? :)
So far the only new thing I've added to the bathroom is the rug, the rest has been re-purposed in the same space. But the bathroom already feels very different.
Another project that sidetracked me this past week was making teacher gifts for the kids' teachers. Last year I made a post-it notes holder and since the teachers are new this year I used the same idea, using similar techniques as in this tutorial.
When it was all wrapped up in the transparent gift wrap and purple ribbon it looked like a million bucks and our oldest shone like the sun getting to deliver these presents to her teachers :)
Oooh, and I got all excited this past week receiving this! Looks like I'm going shopping... :)
Little Green Notebook and the people at Pier 1! I think this win was just a fluke because otherwise I'd have to change my opinion on giveaways (not sure if I'm up for that kind of change) but right now I'm really happy they exist!
I hope you guys have a great weekend!
Ps. Linking up with
Funky Junk Interiors
Blue Cricket Design
Homemaker on a Dime