Friday, April 22, 2011

Window plant propagation (crazy scientist style)

Do you guys remember this inspiration picture I showed you a while ago?

I figured it would be pretty easy to get that same feel. I'm working with a lot smaller window (in the kitchen) and I'm just starting out so my version isn't quite up to par. But you get the idea, right? :)

These pics were taken partway through my installation. The setting sun was shining through the glass so prettily that I had to take some during pics.




So somewhere around here I noticed I have to clean my kitchen windows... Ugh..

A little later I had finished the whole thing.




They're all hanging out in the corner above the kitchen sink. And underneath is my budding herb garden in tin cans and tin containers from the Dollar tree. I like the clear glass, silver/tin, mirror and green thing going on here.

I know I promised to show you the mirrors I have scattered about this room but honestly I'm feeling a little sick just thinking about showing you more pics of blah white with seemingly random accessories without a painted wall to tie it all together. So I've decided that you'll have to wait until the walls are painted. Which I hope to do sometime this summer.

After realizing that I didn't have any proper daytime after pics I added these too.



Itemized from left to right.

1. A 99 cent vase from the thrift store with a cutting of confederate jasmine (this cutting is not doing well, I'm not sure why, will have to do some internet snooping on that one)

2. A gutted vanity light bulb with a Lady Banks rose cutting (how to gut and serve a light bulb instructions here, I just swirled mine out with water and uncooked rice to get rid of the white stuff)

3. An empty vinegar bottle with a rose cutting from the neighbors. I read somewhere recently that roses are easy to propagate using a cutting like this placed in water, it just takes sometimes several months. All my rose cuttings are doing well after several weeks of this, the oldest cutting is putting out new growth. Seems promising but I guess time will tell if it works or not.

4. A gutted regular size light bulb with a cutting from my own rose bush.

5. A little decanter with peppermint cuttings (they have a ton of roots after just about a week of this, almost time to plant them already).

To imitate my inspiration I just hung them from wire with plenty of extra wire spiraling around. They hang from little nails in the window frame and to make it easier for me to take them down to refill with water or whatnot I made a little S-hook (from old wire hangers from the closet) in the middle of each length of wire so I could just unhook the glass vessel without having to get on a stool to remove the whole thing.

I may eventually change out the spiral vase for something smooth and bulbous just because I like that look better, but this is what I had for now.

Even if you don't like propagating plants or keeping fresh flowers at your finger tips this idea may still work for you since they are gorgeous just hanging there empty, or filled with a little bit of water. And it's really optional just how much of the crazy scientist vibe you want to go with :)

Ps. Linking up with
Funky Junk Interiors
C.R.A.F.T. 
Someday Crafts 
The Thrifty Home 
Homemaker on a Dime
post signature Pin It

11 comments:

  1. O_O I'm gobsmacked, this is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally gorgeous! What a fantastic idea for boring 99cent vases! This inspires me, because you have such an impact with just a few pieces, and I am lazy. Love it, Titti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! I just love how sunlight travels through glass. The plants are icing on the cake!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I love this so much! Can't wait until we have our own house and can actually hang things, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea! I love the use of the light bulbs - might give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great botanical nook and I like the tendrils of wire, adds some whimsey and sweetness at the same time. Never knew that roses would root in water. What in the world am I waiting for?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks beautiful! Great job!
    I would love for you to share this at my linky party @ {nifty thrifty things}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! The light bulbs are realy neet! Thanks for sharing, this will be on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl...thanks for linking up this week. I've had a blast co-hosting. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I just LOVE this idea! I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this! I'm definitely going to try it. I need to read up a bit more on plant propagation. If you have a website you recommend for more info on that, I would love it!

    Visiting from the Homemaker on a Dime linky.

    http://junkernewbie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...