Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mirror wall with clock

A while ago I found this round, big, ornate wall clock at the thrift store for a few dollars. It's not working right (probably an easy fix but I haven't bothered doing anything about it yet) but it's so nice looking that it doesn't matter. I thought it should be prominently displayed and that meant I had to move everything around in my living room to find a space for it. Nothing really worked all that well but I left it up anyway.

I had also seen this cool rip off of a Pottery Barn mirror and somehow these two ideas mingled in my head. I wanted to marry the mirrored tiles with the ornate clock and have it cover a whole wall (you guys know I like to go big by now, don't you? :)). Because I've wanted the space above our couch mirrored in some way since we bought the house but it just hadn't worked out that way yet.

These two images of huge, industrial buildings (train stations, actually) with ornate clocks against steel and glass window panes represent the feeling I was going for and I don't think I'd ever have had this idea if I hadn't found that clock at the thrift store :) Funny how random finds can change everything.

source

Of course I'm not going to be able to recreate something as grand as that on my Dollar tree budget but for a total of $14 for the mirrors (from the Dollar Tree) I think I did pretty well. The rest I had on hand or shopped from other rooms in the house.
A couple of befores, with the clock in the middle. The clock has some mirrored surfaces all around the clock face (which of course ties it in nicely with the other mirrors in my finished design). 

This is after I hung all the mirrors, with a scrolly metal wall plaque under the clock which I took from another wall in this room.















The mirrors came with all different colored frames and I cleaned out the whole supply of these mirrors at my store :)

These mirrors were unusually big in size for the Dollar Tree which is why I got them (the larger size=cheaper to cover the wall space I had in mind) but I know they always have mirrors of slightly smaller size on hand if you're planning on doing this yourself.

And when I finally got around to spray painting all the frames the same color it looked like this.
I used a can of oil rubbed bronze I had on hand (and it was really for another project I haven't started yet, now I must go get another can). It reads as black when it's all said and done which is good for me since I ran out of paint during this project. There's four frames in there that are still their original black and not ORB. You can't tell the difference, not even in person.

More afters. 



And before again, just for comparison :)


The wall space above still needs a little something. I have some ideas and will get back to you on that. I really love the vibe in the living room now, though. This wall brings in so much light and some elegant, glimmering surfaces.

Did you notice the new to us leather couch we got handed down? :) The old couch had finally fallen prey to the hopping monkeys that terrorized it for the last few years of it's life.

I like how people now know to ask us if we want stuff they're getting rid of :). We're like the last station before the dump :) Only problem is our garage is filling up with stuff and we're seriously considering a garage sale.

So what do you guys think about the mirror wall? Do you love it as much as I do? :)

Ps. Linking up with
Someday Crafts
The Thrifty Home 
Blue Cricket Design 
Domestically Speaking
post signature Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Bold concept! It's kind of wild and out there, but I like it! I love the bronze/black finish against the wall color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I love it. Really great wall for $14!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that look! My husband bought a ton of mirrors like that from the dollar store. Now I know what I can do with them! I am highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so awesome!!! And I have these mirrors!!!!! lol :)

    Great job!

    www.iheartmygluegun.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job!

    I am having a fine art photography giveaway on my blog. The artist is Melanie Alexandra. She has more than 200 photographs in her Etsy store. Leave me a comment telling me which is your favorite image to win any photograph of your choice.
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/04/fine-art-photography-giveaway-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I've seen those mirrors several times (i'm a DT junky) and have pondered doing this, but was weary of what it would look like. Now I HAVE to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the after look. It is beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...