Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Casual cabana lamp

Ok. I had been eyeing this lamp at the thrift store for several weeks. And then I finally went ahead and bought it since it was half off and I loved the size of it. Got it for around $5 and it worked too!
Here it is set up in our living room, before the transformation began.

I really like the base and am going to leave it as is. The shade was a bit tattered. Not to mention that that shade and base together looked like something a very big-haired woman would have put in her pastel living room back in the 80's :) Sharing the space with little angel figurines and porcelain shepherdesses with flowing hair... You know the look. Which I don't want to be associated with :)

I didn't want to get all involved in this and have to go out and buy fabric and redo the whole thing from scratch. So late one night (isn't that always the case, huh?) inspiration struck. I decided to just paint it with some craft paint I had on hand.

Some painters tape helped me mark out (somewhat) straight and even stripes. I mixed my black craft paint with some white glue (I've read somewhere that the glue makes the paint a little more flexible when dry) and started painting. I did two coats in rapid succession and removed the tape before it dried. To my dismay it had leaked a little under the tape in a few places but as long as you're not too close to it you don't really notice.

For your viewing pleasure I recommend you don't get to close to it, ok? :)

This is what it looked like after the painting was done.

After staring at it for a while I decided it needed something else. The old trim on the shade was still visible and that tattered look was very visible on said trim. I went to my stash of pistachio shells and hot glued them all around the top and the bottom. The pistachios remind me of sea shells so I'm just using them where you could use the real deal if you had them on hand.

And these are the afters. I would call this a casual cabana look, but a (male) visitor said it gave off Cat in the hat vibes :) I almost gave him a sermon about how stripes and other graphic patterns are very "in" right now but managed to hold my tongue :)

I like that I got a huge lamp with a punchy look for only $5. What do you think?

Is it more cabana or cat in the hat? :)

Ps. Linking up with
Domestically Speaking
The Thrifty Home 
Someday Crafts 
Blue Cricket Design

post signature Pin It


  1. Whee! I love it! The pistachio shells - I think they go soooo well with the base. And I love the stripes and the fact you simply painted them on! Had never heard the white glue trick, but it makes sense to me. Cabana in the Hat? Cat in the Cabana? Whatever, it's very very cool, crisp and great with the glimpse of your b&w fridge in the background!

  2. I would never have thought about painting a shade. Such a simple solution! I'll have to keep the white glue trick in mind. I was stopping by to let you know that I've given you the Stylish Blogger Award. I've picked up so many great project ideas from you, I couldn't let the opportunity go by. If you'd like to you can check it out on my blog here.


I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...