Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bell frame

Here's a simple little catalog knock off I've been fiddling with lately.

My inspiration came from a catalog called NapaStyle where I saw these simple/rustic bell decorations. Thought they looked cute and simple enough to replicate and they reminded me somewhat of India. 
Of course it would have been ideal if I had some little brass bells laying around but I used what I had on hand; some stray Xmas bells, a thrift store frame, thumb tacks and sewing thread. 

Since the frame was wood I just stuck my thumb tacks into the frame, but not all the way in yet.

The trickiest part to this was getting each bell at the exact height to fit into the formation I had in mind. You may have to play around with it a little to get it right. I played and I played and I've still got one bell out of formation :) Figured it'll add to the charm :)

I basically cut a length of thread and threaded the bell on there so the bell was in the middle of the thread. Then I knotted the two ends around the thumb tack, adjusting the thread until the bell was where I wanted it. Then I pushed the thumb tack all the way into the wood frame to secure the thread.

I then attached some ribbon to the frame with some more thumb tacks and added felt pads to the back (since it's on a door, it minimizes the thumping).

A simple, wreath-like door decoration that adds a little jingle to life. Since it's not overly Xmasy I've decided to keep it year round. It kind of reminds me of the door bells some vintage shops have.

This one is hanging on our (only) bathroom door so everyone will know when the restroom is open for business again :)

My finishing touch was hanging it on the door from a furniture tack. Simple and elegant. I like it.

I didn't do anything to the frame itself since I wanted to keep the vintage vibe from my inspiration pic and the dark wood works with my India/Morocco themed house but it could be painted/decorated in an infinite amount of ways of course.

If I were to do this again I would change one thing. I would place the thumb tacks for the bells just a tad higher on the frame back so they wouldn't be visible from the front if you're a shorty like me. All in all it's not a big deal so I left them the way they were.

What do you think?

Ps. Linking up with
post signature Pin It


  1. I really like it! Its cool and different~

  2. Yes it is cute and simple yet it's a conversation piece as well. :)

    Adin B

  3. simple, beautiful, love it!
    great idea!

  4. Really love it! I have those bells, and was wondering how to use them, but never would have come up with this. Nifty nifty!


I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...