Friday, December 31, 2010

Toothpaste and blog makeover

I interrupt this hibernation with a very random post (it's been in the 70's today so I'm feeling a little better :)).

The other day I discovered that white toothpaste magically erases kid artworks on white walls. It may work on walls painted other colors as well but I personally tested the white walls myself. And it actually works!

Just put some toothpaste on a dry toothbrush, preferrably one you're not using anymore, and scrub-a-dub-dub on the wall. I wiped the excess toothpaste off with a baby wipe, let dry, and a pristine wall is all that's left! The artworks in my unofficial test panel were made with colored pencil, crayon and black marker. And they're gone!



After. And I got the windowsill too after this pic was taken.

Since my discovery a certain reverence for the power of toothpaste has come over me and I've been seen scrub-a-dubbing both this and that since. Yay for toothpaste!

I even converted my husband who've been scrubbing at our formerly white dining room wall behind the kids' seats. I don't know for how long that wall has been covered in splatters and smears of various nasty substances from the table, we've tried cleaning it but with flat paint in white (previous owners obviously didn't have any kids) and two kids under 5 we have been fighting a losing battle...
The toothpaste works on that too! It's just going to take awhile to get it all done. And I just bought some paint for that room today so hopefully the white will be a thing of the past anyway.

On a different note. During my hibernation with abundant candy eating I've managed to overhaul my blog design as well. Well, I winked my husband into overhauling it for me :) He's soooo much better at that Photoshop thing than I am and he's excellent at taking directions so it all turned out exactly like I wanted - colorful, over the top and gorgeous! Please check it out and tell me what you think :)

My main concern with the blog is that the blog itself is a lot fancier than my content - would that be false advertising? Hopefully some day our house will match the blog. I tell myself you have to have a goal in life :) Although the house will probably never be quite as flamboyant as the blog in it's current state, the husband and kids need to be able to live here to :)

And the third thing I was going to mention is that I have a problem. Remember my bathroom I finished only this last spring? Well, I already want to change it up. Yup, that's how quickly I change my mind. Mind you, it wouldn't be a complete overhaul, still love the turquoise. But it's feeling a little cold, too colorless or something. This pic is giving me ideas.

The bathroom probably wouldn't end up quite as wild but I'm seriously thinking of pulling some of those gorgeous colors in there with various accessories. Hmm, have to keep plotting that out.

Oh, and Happy New Year's! :)

Now, where was I? Oh, yes! Candy and hibernation. Mmmm... Back in a few weeks!

post signature Pin It


  1. Oh, heavens, I was so wowed when I clicked and discovered this new blog design! It is gor-gee-ous. And I've seen your creations, lady, you are a match for this swanky new look, don't even worry about that. And love the toothpaste tip. It looks like magic eraser, which costs a fortune - I am off to toothbrush my painted woodwork right now. Happy New Year!

  2. Wow, I'm so happy I stopped by today. Would you belive I rented by house to college students for a while and they wrote on some of the walls with crayon? Yep - and now I know how to fix it. Thanks! And btw,I'm half Swede, half Italian!

  3. I wanted to let you know that I awarded you the trendy blog award!

    Check it out-


I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...