Monday, December 13, 2010

Flirty slip cover

I have officially finished my first slip cover ever and I'm so happy to show you the result. Voila!

Alright, alright. Not the best pic, I know. More to follow, though, so stay with me :)

This chair looks like this in the nude.

It's a curb find from a few years back. I thought it had potential because it didn't stink and was very sturdy. It's got some stains and the fabric is very rough which is why I wanted to cover it. I thought I'd try a slip cover as opposed to recovering it since I figured it would be a little less work. And it was a lot easier and faster than reupholstering it, I finished in two afternoons/evenings, and that's even with a lot of procrastination and dragging of feet :)

A few years ago I bought a sofa slip cover at BigLots for $25. It never got used for the couch for various reasons and the thought hit me that maybe all that thick and nicely patterned fabric could be used for a slip cover for this chair. For the last year and a half this chair has looked like this.

See that chair in the corner? The sofa slip cover has just been thrown over it but it's all very shapeless and haphazard. And I've been dragging my feet over this slip cover for that long.

I didn't follow a specific tutorial for this but I've read a few on the subject in my days so I just worked from memory :) No measuring was involved in this project either. If you want a tutorial I found one here that more or less outlines what I did.

Here's what I did (in very general terms).

1. I ripped all the seams on the original sofa slipcover and ended up with two large pieces of fabric and several smaller. I made sure that the original skirt piece was left in one long piece so I could use it for my ruffle without having to re-attach the pieces or hem it.

2. I draped one of the big pieces over the front of the chair, right side down. Pinched and tucked and pinned and basted until it laid flat and fit right around the inside arms, the top of the back etc. (There's no detached chair cushions on this chair so I avoided the extra step of doing a separate cushion).

3. Sewed all my pinned and/or basted seams on the sewing machine.

4. Tried it on both wrong side and right side down to make sure the fit was right.

5. Repeated steps 2-4 for each outer side piece as well as the back and attached the pieces together as I went.

6. I took my long hem piece and pinned it on the slipcover while creating a pleated ruffle, attached it with the machine.

7. Cut pairs of rat tail cord for the ties and sewed them on with the machine.

All that remained was to put the cover on and have an official photo shoot :) As usual my pics came out not quite right (I blame the setting sun) but I've doctored them in Photoshop so they should be ok. Alas, Photoshop can't fix my blurry pics (or at least I don't know enough Photoshop to make it happen) so you'll still have to put up with that :) But here are the afters.

Luckily for me the fabric was chaotic enough that I could get away with not having to match it up at the seams and I paid no attention to the direction of the fabric what so ever :) Still turned out pretty well, don't you think?

My husband was so impressed with the results ("It's like a whole new chair" is an exact quote) that he now wants me to get a move on with all the other chairs I have promised to slip cover (my collection of curb find chairs keeps growing).

So this boxy, ugly chair turned into a flirty little ballerina of a chair with a cool slip cover. And the thick damask patterned fabric only cost me $25, that's hard to beat. So what do you think? :)

Ps. Linking up with

post signature Pin It


  1. It IS a ballerina of a chair! So elegant and pretty. I happen to really love that damask fabric, I know you see it around quite a bit, but I think the way you tailored it looks super expensive and decorator posh. Very impressed!

  2. Beautiful! I love how you decorate your house in a very inexpensive way. :) Awesome!

    Adin B


I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...