Saturday, August 21, 2010

Contact your fridge

I may have completely gone off the deep end on this one but that's what I did, I stuck Con-Tact paper all over our fridge. Crazy, huh? :)


We have your average plain, white and huge fridge and because our kitchen is teeny-tiny the fridge doesn't actually fit in the kitchen but ended up in our dining room. Like a very big, white elephant in the room.

As a cool side note here I'll throw in these pics of a real elephant in the room and I wouldn't mind one of those actually. The elephant was supposedly not bothered by the paint, let's keep our fingers crossed that it's true.

 Image source 1 and source 2.

Anyway, back to the story. So the big, white fridge-look had to go and having a very fickle decorating taste I decided that it had to be non-permanent for when I change my mind. Otherwise painting or decoupaging could have been perfectly fine. 

Having heard good things about contact paper lately I went with that. I found a huge roll of it (75') on Amazon for about $20 and I already have plans for the leftovers (I don't know how many feet I used for this project but it barely made a dent in my roll).

This Pottery Barn rug pattern was my inspiration, it's Moorish so what's not to love, right? :)

Image source.

I free-handed the pattern pieces and made two templates from scrap paper. This is what I was working with. 


And before I started cutting in my contact paper I did a test run on the fridge with a dry erase pen to see if I would like it (it wiped right off, FYI). Oh, and please excuse my sloppy censorship of our private information and that of our friends, it was a quick last minute fix.


This is what it would look like for you gals out there with black fridges if you were to use white contact paper.

And then I copied the templates onto the contact paper and cut out about a billion of them.


And then I started to put them on the fridge. I eye balled the placement of each piece and there's slight variations in the pattern because of it but it still reads right when you see it as a whole. Because the pieces are pretty small it was very easy to get them on right without bubbles or wrinkles, I even peeled a few of them off to reposition them without any problems. 


Here's my before shot.  Standard, messy looking and a general eye sore. The censorship isn't helping it one bit either...


This is what it looked like half-way through the first side of the fridge. Don't you love my jungle shot through the leaves? :) That's me trying to be creative with my photography :)

And the lovely afters. 



This last one is the view from the front door. When you step through the door at our place you KNOW the fridge is your destination, it draws you in with the stylish pattern. Oops, that's probably not a good thing, come to think of it..... :) Too late, I guess, because I'm already in love with it.

If you noticed the twine wrapped handles I used the same technique as with our outdoor chandelier, and I only did that to cover up the very fridge-like plastic handles and make it look more un-fridgey. The twine has already been on there for a while and it's holding up nicely. 

I also wanted to mention that the contact paper I got is matte black. I probably would have gotten something fancier (crocodile pattern in bright blue or a brown faux suede would be definite contenders, there are many options in contact paper) if I wasn't trying to keep it on the cheapish side. Black is classic and I can use it for many other projects. 

Our magnets still work on there, but to my husband's chagrin I would like to keep the fridge magnet free from now on, for the sake of aesthetics. The fridge is wipeable and the kids have not tried to peel the contact paper off so far. It's even survived the kids climbing on the doors like the true monkeys they are... So I dub it a success. And now for the judgement - what say you, the jury? :)
post signature Pin It

37 comments:

  1. Wow you are one brave girl! I'd be too chicken to attempt that! hehe. But it came out great! Saw you over at Tatertots and Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!?!?!?! That is so cool! I never, ever would have thought of that.

    I love how it looks like a piece of furniture in the room, now.

    Hmmmm, what can I stick on my fridge now....??

    :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Titti, that is totally amazing! Can't believe how rich and cool it looks. What a lot of work - but seriously worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is so cool! What a work of art. And such a cool statement. Very creative!

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.My.Goodness!! That is some OUTRAGEOUS fun!!
    We have a little dorm fridge downstairs... I just might have to borrow your amazing idea : )
    hehe - I am just so tickled!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! You took a risk and it totally paid off! very inspired right now : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job! I'm your newest follower! Come by Sassy Sites and say HI!

    Marni @ Sassy Sites
    www.sassysites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - super cool idea - I think it looks fantastic! So clever =) Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that has to be the coolest fridge I have ever seen.
    Great job!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Creative and original....Good for you girl!

    So glad you could Mi4M :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that is awesome. how did you do it so straight and perfect, no wrinkles or anything, it must have taken forever, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an AWESOME idea! It turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! what a statement :) come on over and link up to MMM!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is brilliant Titti!

    I've seen people use this idea on a smaller scale and have not been too excited about the finished product but this, this is great! Hidden in plain sight and no more pesky elephant problems!

    Also, I have to say how much I love the green room. Fresh and clean looking. Mind you I am biased since mine was green for 5 years. I was on holiday when you made the debut, sorry I missed it, but it's very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am IN LOVE with this!!! And your tutorial makes it sound deceptively easy... I'm moving to a new apartment in a few weeks and I may have to try this on my boring white fridge! The best part (to me anyway) is that it can be easily removed when I move out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, it's not hard at all. It takes time, but it's not hard :) I promise. The contact paper goes on there perfectly without much effort at all. And if you somehow manage to mess up it peels right off and you can just stick it back on again. No biggie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow... that is definitely the most elegant fridge I've seen! Impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've got a really marketable idea there, really. Just think if you could have bought a roll of this contact paper in a big pattern, and just put it on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! I can't believe you did that! To risky for me! But it totally looks fabulous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely worth the effort ... looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this is an awesome idea! My appliances are all almond color and so are my cabinets- I so want to paint my cabinets black- but feel like my appliances will stick out like sore thumbs! I think I might try this with black contact paper! Not sure about the stove though- guess I'll have to spray paint it! Good job on your fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I am blown away by your fridge. So happy to find your blog!I am following~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never seen anything so creative-you are a genius-coolest fridge I've ever seen-congrats! Claire from rosegirls3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG!!! I am in love with this idea! I just moved into a new apartment and the kitchen is white, too white; white floors, cabinets, counters and appliances. I'm thinking something like this will really transform the room.
    I just have one question. Being that I'm renting and I will have to take this down eventually. Do you think the contact paper will leave a residue after being up for a long period of time?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kimberly - I don't really know the long term impact of contact paper. What I do know is that a fridge surface is really tough so it shouldn't be a problem to just use some Goo gone and/or window cleaner or something to get the residue (if any) out. If you do cabinets or walls it might be an issue but I've never tried that myself so I don't know. Good luck with your apartment :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. omg! It's hysterically fabulous! I love it!
    I just hung a chandi with the same twine treatment on our porch not 5 minutes ago! we were separated at birth!
    love it!
    -denise

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that your frig is really creative! I would never have the guts to do that {and I don't have mine in the dining room} but it's really beautiful and really great how you've done it. It must've taken forever to do all that! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this has to be one of my favorite DIY projects EVER!! It's beautiful and I'm totally impressed!
    Abbe - Studio Ten 25

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holy cow - I had to click on the link when I saw it on The Lettered Cottage - what a cool transformation for what was an eyesore! I LOVE IT - you did a great job freehanding the pattern! way too go!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your idea!!! I saw it while browsing through the old articles on Curbly today, and followed the links to here. I think I'm going to do something weird and creative (and fun!) when we get our own fridge too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are NUTS. Certifiable, insane, crazy, looney tunes... who DOES this stuff? Oh wait... I do... This was one idea I'd never considered but I gauren DARN T you I'll be doing it by summer's end!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE IT!! so it's been over a year how is the contact paper holding up?? I would love to do this to my fridge and was just wondering how it's lasting

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Jaime.It's holding up great! Except for a few scuffs where the kids have been banging on it with hard objects it looks exactly like when I put it up. I just flattened the scuffs and you can barely see them. And any spills wipe right off :) So I say go ahead and make over your fridge, I don't think you'll regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's the most beautiful fridge I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  35. im totally going to do this to my washer wow thanks for the creativity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such an awesome makeover! I'm so inspired to do mine now! Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...