Monday, June 7, 2010

Petty projects round-up

I took my one answer (many thanks to Sassy Jen!!) and the approving silence of the rest of you as an excuse to shower you with all my piddly projects that I previously wasn't going to show you here on the blog. If I wanted to be tactical I should have made each item a separate blog post but here they are - a round-up of the last couple of weeks and a few older ones thrown in for good measure.

Shisha embroidered flip-flops

I bought these flip-flops plain brown at Target a few months ago. After my first attempt to embellish them bit the dust I decided to use this excellent tutorial to Indify and add some sparkle and color to my shoes. An evening with needle and embroidery floss and they looked a whole lot better. I used large paillettes, large sequins with a tiny hole in the side found at a crafts store. And they're supposed to be washable which will be needed.

Shisha embroidered tank top

I was inspired by my success with the shoes and continued to spice up an old tank. Same procedure as with the shoes and then I connected the dots with chain stitch.

Embroidered qipao t-shirt

This is an older project. I love the look of the Chinese dresses called qipao and the shorter tops and for the longest time I was looking for a free or next to free pattern to make one but no luck. So I decided to fake it with a V-neck t-shirt from Walmart and some chain stitch embroidery. I used one of the kids' washable crayons to mark out where I wanted the 'opening" and the "frog closures" to go and went to town. I love how this turned out and will probably use it on other V-necks in the future.

Ruffled capris

All my pants were falling apart and I've been losing weight (yay!) so it was time to get something new. Not one to waste money on clothes I got myself a pair of plain slacks at the thrift store for a few dollars, cut them off right under the knee, used the cut off parts to make a longer strip of fabric which I attached to the pants with a folded ruffle. Covered the seam with a light green grosgrain ribbon and I was done. Nothing like thrift store clothing when you're altering clothes because not much is lost if you fail miserably (good for novice seamstresses like myself, I improvise as I go). 

Moroccan lantern find

I go to the mall about once a week. Not to shop, to entertain the kids. No, it's true! I'm too cheap to actually buy anything there :) They have an awesome indoor playground (ours is closed for another month for remodeling...), there's a pet store with kittens and puppies and snakes and big hairy spiders and adorable little mice (I'm more enamored with this place than the kids are but hey it's a nice stop just the same), a kiddie train ride and the cool hermit crabs at Earthbound Trading. 

Earthbound Trading is my absolute favorite store at the mall, I would probably buy a big part of their inventory if I ever had the time to actually browse and/or had that kind of money to spend. I have to carefully guide my little herd of sticky-fingered octopuses through the store to get to the crabs and then I can relax for a bit while they gawk at the multicolored shells and crabs. While they gawk I try to gawk at the pretty stuff around me (while making sure they don't break the plexiglass crab enclosure, harm any crabs, knock anything off tables - you get the idea). Right beside the crabs there's been this large table of gorgeous Moroccan lanterns for quite a while and I've been drooling over them every single time I've been there - but they were soo expensive. Then they went on sale 50% off and it was tempting but still too much. A few weeks ago they were 75% off and I knew I wanted to take advantage of that so the other day I walked out of there the happy owner of two huge lanterns for $15 each!!! They were originally $60 each...

So I put them on either side of our computer desk to try to prettify that very utilitarian area. For the first one I just took the shade off the small lamp I had in that spot and stuck the lamp inside the lantern, cord and opening in the lantern facing the back. Looks great! The second one should ideally have a little lamp like the first one but for now it's housing husby's funky blue Ikea lamp thingy. Looks pretty ok and I didn't have to buy anything. Loooove this purchase, it was soo worth it! 

Beribboned lamp shade

Found this rectangular shade at the thrift store a while back, it was plain white. Not normally the style I'd fall for but this one spoke to me for some reason. So I took it home and hot glued some brown ribbon on there to make it a little cuter and stuck it on this thrift store lamp I already had. 

Paper towel dispenser

Our paper towel dispenser broke not too long ago (darn kids, nothing is safe with them around, if they can reach it it's soon broken). And while browsing the thrift store I found this large cylindrical vase and thought to myself "why not?". Hot glued that same brown ribbon on it that I put on the lamp shade and plopped the paper towel roll inside. I had to remove the paper towel roll from the inside so it dispenses from the inside out instead of the regular way. Works surprisingly well and so far the kids haven't showed any interest in it (keeping my fingers crossed). It was worth the $2 :)

DIY ear rings

For the top ones I was feeling summery the other day and didn't have any ear rings that fit the mood. So using left over dollar tree "silk" flowers, wire, some beads and the ear "hanger" parts I came up with something that worked. 

The bottom ones are put together with stamped metal medallions and ear ring parts found at Hobby Lobby because I needed some ear rings that would go with any color. 

So. That was the round-up. Did you see anything you liked? Hope so, because I like them all :)

Ps. Linking up with
Between Naps on the Porch

post signature Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Totally love the idea of making regular flip flops fab by embroidering them. They look fab!


I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...