As you've seen before my entryway was in great need of some attention, but just to refresh your memory...
Nothing terribly wrong (except for the wood rot above the supports, it WILL be taken care of sometime this summer but just ignore it for now, ok?) but very blah.
A few weeks back I put up the lantern shaped house plaque where the house numbers are in the above picture and after that I turned my attention to this very lacking in anything charming and personal "boob light" (saw the term on a blog a while back, don't remember which one, but the name stuck with me because it's very fitting :)).
It was hanging right outside our entry door and functional is probably one of the nicest thing I can say about it. So while thrift store shopping one day I found this lamp for $7.
A little worn but with great bones.
So I took it apart.
Taped off the glass and spray painted away. I somehow neglected to get pictures of the spraying and a detail of the after so you'll have to take my word for it (and I was so proud of myself for getting some really good before shots for once... There's always something with me, isn't it?)
Anyway, I primed the brass and then sprayed it a glossy black. I also added some frosted glass spray to the inside of the lamp to obscure the socket and brass color on the inside of the lamp. It said on the frosted glass can that it's not for outdoor use but I figured I could get away with it since it's under roof and on the inside of the glass. Time will tell. Here it is up.
To me it makes a world of difference! It's so much cuter now, don't you think? I think I'll be adding a small black ceiling medallion to even out the proportions of the lamp and fully cover up the hole in the ceiling, there's a little opening there if you look closely.
Since my prettifying work is never done I then started eyeing this eyesore of a doorbell.
Don't ask me how long it's been sitting there but it's obvious it's been through a couple of layers of paint as well as countless dirty worker fingers. Yuck. Being thrifty and all I considered various creative alternatives but once I realized a brand new doorbell is only like $10 depending on the style you want I just went ahead and got a new one at Lowe's the other day.
Mine was $12 I think. The process involved TURNING THE POWER OFF, removing the old ringer, drilling a hole in the door frame for this flush mount ringer, hooking up the new ringer and screwing it into place. Ta-da!
Obviously you need to turn the power on again for it to work :) The button is lit (you can barely see it in the above pic) so it's easier to find in the dark. And the door frame needs a new coat of paint before it's perfect but it's already much better.
So again, the before.
The after (minus the door bell).
I'm so happy with the progress so far, yay for black details! Husby approved my plan of painting the porch supports black as well so sometime in the near future I expect to be getting to that part. I think that will be like putting mascara on your eye lashes (this from the girl who never wears make up) to draw the attention to the eyes, but in this case it'll be the door :) At least that's the plan. Stay tuned as I continue the quest for prettiness.