Friday, April 16, 2010

Getting dirt under my fingernails

Summer's here!


I know because my bright orange toenails are back :) They're only orange in summertime. My feet look scorched and red, well, because I've been working like a lumber jack in our front yard doing this...



See my new wildflower beds? I've been tilling them, they used to be lawn and weeds. By tilling I mean me and my shovel spent about a week, sometimes up to 5 hours a day in scorching sun and heat, shoveling one piece of lawn after another. I'm achy and swollen in places I didn't know I had, but at least it's done now. The seeds are in the ground and now I just need to keep it moist for 4-6 weeks, yay! Hope my wildflower beds are going to be as beautiful as I imagine.

Here's how it looked before I started digging, the trenches mark the shape of the flower bed.



Here's a view of the front of our house.


Three weeks ago I spent a weekend making two invisible trellises on either side of the window.


They're hard to see because they're invisible :) You may be able to see the nails if you click on the pic for a larger view. I just threw this together using old pallet nails and fishing line because that's what I had on hand. The fishing line isn't going to last long but for this summer it should be fine. I've planted blue morning glories under each trellis.


The roses came with the house and they're so much bigger this year than last. As the novice gardener I am I have no idea why that is, but I like it :)


In the backyard I've started the process of changing these ugly jar lights for white globes, they're nicer looking and you can find them for almost nothing at most thrift store.


I may do something more to these lights but right now I have too much on my plate as it is so they're fine for now.

I've made lawn chairs from pallets and I'm so proud of how they turned out! I have no before or during pics because I honestly wasn't sure if it was going to turn out to be anything at all. But here they are!


This last pic is after they've been primed. I intend for this lovely couple to be a happy red when I'm done with them :) And with some cushioning material and some pillows I'm sure they could be quite nice to lounge on. Only used 5 pallets I got for free.


This is the view along our backyard fence. The sticks and trenches mark more wildflower beds that will be running all along the fence and on the far side next to the lawn chairs.


This one gives you a better view of the back. See that planter in the round flower bed? Guess what I made it out of? A tire!! I know, isn't it crazy?! Apparently this has been done a lot in country bumpkin land but I'd never heard of or seen it before and I thought it was a great idea. This is another project that I wasn't sure if it was going to turn out right so I only have afters :)


I started out with a used tire still on it's rim. The rim is optional but I must say the rim is the only thing that makes this look like a footed planter and not just a tire turned inside out. I followed the instructions on this website if anyone is interested in trying it out. Traditionally these planters apparently have scalloped edges to make it look like a flower but I liked the clean lines of a straight edge better. They can be painted in bright and happy colors but I left it black for now.


Another pic where it's been filled with dirt and a makeshift trellis made out of upside down tomato cages. Moon vines will be climbing here.


I've also planted tons of moon vine along the back patio to hopefully screen us from the sun later on this summer.


And my honeysuckle seedlings I planted last summer have taken off for real now.

Here's my birthday present from my darling husband (birthday was about 3 weeks by now so it's not a super recent thing). We bought this picnic table at Lowe's for $88 and I primed it, put it together and painted it a yellowish white so now we actually have seating on the patio for the whole family, and then some!


The sorry little bistro set we had out here before, more for lack of anything else to put here than any real intent, has now found a new place in another previously unused corner of our yard under a shady tree. The bistro table top has problems so I still need to do something about that, but oh, well... I'll get to it in time.


I guess I managed to snap the pic during one of the few times a day where the sun actually gets in there:) Normally it's quite shady in this corner.

So I'm sorry this is such a long and picture dense post but I tried to summarize a month's worth of garden work in one post. Mainly so I wouldn't scare all you crafty people off with too much boring garden stuff :) Now I'm off to water my wildflower beds and put the kidlets to bed.

Ps. Linking up with
Funky Junk
Tatertots & Jello
Between Naps On The Porch
post signature Pin It

14 comments:

  1. OK..wow..you've been busy!! Gotta say...lovin' the pallet loungers!! I just made a pallet bench (come check it on my blog if you get a chance!) And the tire urn...I haven't seen that one either... clever!

    Having a giveaway starting Saturday on my blog if you want to check it out!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look great!

    love that you painted them white!
    for some reason, i feel like saying...
    "oh, pool boy...can you bring me a refreshing lemonade?" looking at these lounge chairs! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pallet loungers- did you come up with this design on your own, is there a tutorial online somewhere?
    The tire urn looks great. We have those all over down here in Texas...mostly I see them painted white. I don't have any, and wouldn't even know where to score a tire complete with rim.
    Right now I'm keeping an eye out for pallets--- want to panel a wall with them.

    I love the garden/back yard...i bet your flower beds are gonna be great, once they fill in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those chairs look awesome! I never would have thought to use pallets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have been very, very busy. Those pallet lawn chairs are awesome, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy! It is looking great! I've never seen a tire planter like that - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pallet loungers! I tried to get a pallet at home depot the other day, but they were all busted. :(
    The tire thingy... my uncle did that when I was just a girl some 45 years ago. :)
    you've been a busy girl, and everything looks great!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness - LOVE your pallet chairs - Fabulous idea! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those loungers out of pallettes is sheer genius!! Love it!! I found you through Funky Junk Interiors! Great blog, come see me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dear one...

    Me and yer mother have been reviewing your site last night again... We had a good dinner and talked alot about you and you fine projects...
    Hope i can come visit you this summer/fall.
    Miss you, Sis.
    /Brother T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Casual (dash) Cottage:
    Try you local car-mechanic, or the junkyard...
    Alot of old tires get tossed with rims and all, and you'll be doing 'em a favor by taking 'em off their hands, for sure.
    (Tho i can't be really sure of the above, but if the mechanics behave like over here in sweden they should all have a good heap of old tires with rims in a corner somewhere. -It's one of those universal laws of economy, i guess.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your gardening projects. The invisible trellis is a great idea. You can just cut vines and string down in the fall and start over in the spring. It is a pain trying to get all of the old vines out of a metal or wood trellis. And the pallet loungers - I need those! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to feature you deck chairs on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a button. Thanks!

    http://reuseandupcycle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You said " I followed the instructions on this website if anyone is interested in trying it out." but you never listed a website link or name where to find the directions for making the tire planter stand !

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...