Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Funky feather frame

So with the new dramatic color on the bathroom walls the accessories had to be taken up a notch, to match the drama :)

I had this plain black collage frame on the wall over the toilet with assorted pics of the family doing vaguely bathroom related poses for the most part. It was handed down to us by some friends who were moving and wanted nothing more to do with it :) It was in ok shape, I just filled in a few scratched areas with a Sharpie and it was as good as new.

It looked too plain when the drama levels in the bathroom went up, though. So I had this vision of glamming it up with graceful feathers. Went out to buy some at the craft store. They had bags with tall slender feathers (only a few feathers per bag) and bags with shorter fuzzy ones (lots of feathers per bag). Although the tall slender variety would probably have been better fitting with my vision it was going to cost way too much, so I walked out of there with five bags of the fuzzy variety.

Now, here's the frame after I took it off the wall and before I started working on it (I never seem to remember to get a true before pic).

Mmm, yes, that's my mouth... And the writing is just my husband's scribbling with dry erase pen on the glass, partly smeared by little hands...

Anyway, I promptly flipped the frame over and started gluing feathers around the frame with hot glue, like so.

It was messy work, bits of feathers flying everywhere. But I was on a mission so I persevered until it was all done. As you can see the ends of the feathers overhang the frame backing so before I called it quits I also cut around the backing board with a utility knife to make sure I could still open the frame in the future if I wanted to. That part of the feathers weren't glued down so they came right off.

Then up on the wall it went.

Hmm. Well. It wasn't exactly what I'd hoped for.

Since I didn't get the tall graceful feathers the elegance I was hoping for was completely missing, the fuzziness of these feathers did away with every bit of elegance. They still had a big impact but more along the lines of "Who put a witch doctor's head dress on the wall?" which wasn't exactly what I was aiming for. I decided to give it some time to see if I was going to change my mind.

So I do what I always do when I've just finished a project. I run by to look at it about every two minutes for the rest of the day, just to see what I really think about it. In and out of the bathroom, over and over, sitting on the edge of the bathtub pondering the feathery impact, calling the husband in to take a look ("Wow, that looks pretty crazy, Sweetie"), wondering what to do with this thing.

So I decide to steer away from the witch doctor thing by adding some bling! All those feathery teenage girl decor accessories always have feathers and bling and they look cute, right?

I now have a witch doctor with jewelry on the wall.... He looks like he's about ready to pounce.

So I take inventory of the situation.

*I spent $10 on the feathers - I'm not about to rip them off and lose my investment.
*The frame has drama - I need drama to balance the wall color and the over-the-top shower curtain that's going up on the opposite wall of this frame.
*It's different - I like different.
*I have nothing else to put up there right now.
*I don't hate it, it's just not exactly what I had in mind.
*I've run out of steam with this project.

So the witch doctor stays for now, bling and all.

By the way, the towels in here are going to be ivory when I'm done with this room. For now we have red ones and that's what you're going to see. It's not terrible but I want the clean look of ivory with the turquoises, blacks and whites.

So, do you hate the witch doctor or is he ok?

Ps. Linking up with A Soft Place To LandSomeday CraftsTatertots & JelloFunky JunkShanty2Chic.
post signature Pin It


  1. Love this! I would love for you to come link up over at my blog! I've got prizes :)

  2. I'm a new Saturday Follower! Visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=1239 and sign up for my newest giveaway!

  3. That looks so great--very fancy. I might have to try this for my daughters. Your wall color is gorgeous too.

  4. It's a bit wild for the space, but it looks like you could work with it :).

  5. I love it!! I want to make one for my 15 yr old!! I'm coming from shanty2chic!!!


I really appreciate you taking the time to comment because I know you didn't have to. Additional ideas or related techniques are always welcome, the more we brainstorm the better all of our end products will be.
While I try to answer all comments I sometimes don't make it or have your contact info. If you don't hear back from me it doesn't mean I hate you, I just ran out of time (or simply had no way of contacting you).
I wish you a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...